Tuesday, November 9, 2010

New Beginnings

So, this is it; one of the last steps to leaving Vancouver, Home, for good.

Hopefully, this blog will help me keep some of my sanity in Beijing. At the very least, you'll hear interesting tales about my getting arrested for beating up (or getting beat up by) some guy on the subway.

So, thoughts about leaving:

1) Today, driving home on the highway from Delta, it was raining while the sky up ahead was a beautiful azure blue with the whitest marshmallow clouds. It was beautiful. Fall in Vancouver is beautiful. Hell, Vancouver is beautiful. To leave Vancouver seemed impossible merely 2 years ago, before I left to study, but in the words of Konstantin Tsiolkovsky: "The Earth is the cradle of mankind, but one cannot remain in the cradle forever."

2) Having dinner with friends and simply hanging out is something I've taken for granted. Knowing there's a end date now makes everything so much more tangible. The laughs, the jokes, and wholly comfortable silences...

3) The air. Seriously, go outside a take a deep breath of air. Drink in the delicious coldness of it. I wish I could bottle it up and take it with me to Beijing...

4) Kudos to people who have left. Though one can always visit Vancouver again, to leave indefinitely is...terrifying. Thrilling, but terrifying.

1 comment:

  1. You have summed it up so well Lloyd!!
    I can't believe you are leaving indefinitely for Beijing =( but then i guess this means i'll have a reason to go there now!! miss youuu

    Erica

    ReplyDelete